Monday, February 2, 2009

Free Concert

Last night a local radio station had a free concert featuring Shiny Toy Guns, one of my favorite groups. It was at CityWalk by Universal Studios. It's like an amusement park, except there aren't any rides - only overpriced stores. Anyways, they had a big screen showing the game, and about 15 minutes after it ended, the Shinys take the stage. I was excited because it was the first time I had seen them since the new album dropped back in November. The sound was pretty bad though. I don't even think the snare drum or guitar amp was coming through the speakers. I barely had to raise my voice to talk to Andrew, who was right next to me.

Anyhoo, they did pretty good. They got a new female vocalist, who is not nearly as good as their old one. Her voice was pretty shot last night. However, the lead singer is just a beast and I aspire to have talent like him. He broke a string on his guitar last night, and whilst the roadie was off to the side trying to fix it, the keyboard player triggered the loop to start the next song. At which point the lead singer, named Chad, looks over at him and says, "I don't even have a guitar *$&#head." Good thing he is awesome, because he just ripped up the first part of the song without a guitar. All in all, it was a decent show. Sound could have been better, but it was free. I am looking forward to a proper club show by STG in the future.

I have some possible exciting music news too in the near future, yee haw.

No comments: