Sunday, August 30, 2009

California Fire

This update is mainly for the Non-californian readers.

I don't know if they have news of the LA fires in NC, but you should look it up if you haven't heard. It is burning 30 square miles of forest right above La Canada, which is where I lived for the first month and half I moved here. It is the craziest thing I have ever seen; to be driving down the street on lunch break and look to the right and see 15 - 20 ft flames just a few miles away. I snapped some pictures on my camera to share, but they don't do it justice at all.


This is a shot from Pasadena, about 5 miles away from the blaze on Friday.


This is from the 101 Highway about 30 - 40 miles away from the fire. You can see the width of the smoke from this shot, and even this shot doesn't capture the magnitude of the smoke column.

Lastly, here is a video from the AP that shows some closer images. Only 5% contained; scary.

1 comment:

janel said...

how do they still have trouble with this every year? you'd think as soon as it started they'd jump all over it. frankly, and no offense meant, i wonder why it still makes news when it's the exact same scenario every year.